i opted for the re-do. i started by ripping out the insides and then using them as pattern pieces for my vintage fabric. i used spray adhesive to get the main parts of the fabric to adhere to the top and bottoms which made smoothing it out much easier, and it stuck well to the cardboard. i sewed side panels, reinforcing them with interfacing, and used fabric glue to adhere around the sides. i secured the flap that covers the hinges with fabric glue as well as the staples i saved from the old lining. my fingers were covered in glue and i lost a few brain cells with the spray adhesive, but i'm pretty happy with how it turned out.